From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:35:12 -0700
> With the Russian bees T mite resistance has been very much
> publicized on Bee-L as well as in the general beekeeping press, my
> experience has been just the opposite...
> Of course my local conditions might not be too favorable :>). But
> before switching over to a new line give them at least 2 years and
> watch what happens in your location with your type of management.

Interesting point.  I'm glad to get this kind of report, since the
official tests have necessarily been restricted to specific locations
and operators.  As the stock gets distributed, we are bound to get a
clearer picture of the advantages and the weaknesses of the stock.

As we have learned over and over, YMMV.  Local conditions can have a
huge effect that is hard to predict.

> That included all of my Russian stock including one very expensive
> breeder and several just plain expensive breeders.

Are you saying the 'very expensive breeder' came down with T-mites, or
that her progeny did?  Were they Russian or a cross?  Although the good
properties of the Russian stock are reported to be demonstrated in
outcrosses, they have been predicted to be -- and also have been
reported widely to be -- diluted.

One thing that Tom Rinderer emphasized repeatedly (or maybe it was just
that I heard the same presentation three times) was that the Russian
bees should, and cannot be, evaluated from bees sold by breeders unless
the breeder has been in the Russian program for two years or more, has
obtained breeder queens each year -- and can control the matings, or
uses instrumental insemination.

As I understand it, the 'Russian' stock is undergoing constant selection
and the lab practices a three year rotation of the lines they use, while
injecting new blood from Russia each year.  Anyone coming up in with
only one year's stock release, or with an inadequate sample of the stock
will not have a representative sample and wil also being dealing with
diluted stock.   Apparently there are some people who obtained a breeder
or two and now claim to have Russin stock.  They may even charge high
prices for their product.

At any rate AFAIK, there is only one authorised breeder who distributes
the stock to other breeders.  He is Steve? Bernard, and I'm sorry I
didn't pay more attention, but I'm from Canada and cannot buy those
queens anyhow -- for now, at least.  Those breeders who buy from him may
follow the program to a greater or lesser degree, so it is necessary to
ask the details when buying.

Without knowing where the 'very expensive breeder' came from, it is hard
to know what to think.  I'd like to hear more.

> It should be noted that I don't treat for mites at all, no patties, no
> menthol, no oil, nothing. Maybe some of the favorable reports noted
> are from those that routinely treat for mites.

Nope.  The pure Russian stock is supposed to very T-mite tolerant, and
that has been shown both in Iowa and in Ontario, Canada.

allen
www.honeybeeworld.com (under maintenance today)