From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 00:09:55 -0400
Jack & Susan Griffes wrote:

> There are people who would argue on both sides.  We prefer to run 10 in the
> 10 frame brood chambers.  When you run nine in a 10 frame brood chamber the
> bees make a terrible mess of the comb because they have extra space to play
> with.
>
> In supers this extra space gets taken care of by building thicker comb -
> but in the brood nest the brood comb itself will only be just so thick.  So
> if you like nice pretty and straight combs with no brace comb between them
> then I would advise using 10 frames in your 10 frame brood boxes.

I agree with the first sentence.  However, 9 frames in the brood chamber
hardly ever causes any of these problems with brace comb.  I always use
9 frames except when drawing out foundation - then ten frames are
necessary or brace comb will result.  The 9-frame setup allows much
easier access when removing frames, its main advantage for me.

In the supers, as stated above, much thicker comb can be built.  That is
why I always use 8 frames in the supers.  This cuts down on the number
of frames to be handled per super, as well as results in more honey per
super (as well as far easier uncapping of the combs!).  Occasionally,
brace comb will be built there, but that is easily cut out and sent down
with the cappings.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan, USA