From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:24:46 -0400
Hello Randy & All,

I have been around the industry a very long time. Beekeeping was my project
in Future Farmers of America. I remember when Richard Adee was starting out
to become "King of the Hill" ( as the Bee Culture article of the same name
called Richard).

"Older than dirt" ?????

Editors of both ABJ & BC will say ( and they read BEE-L) I have got a huge
industry contact base to draw information from.

You spoke of Brent Adee so lets talk about what I see as going on in their
operation right now.

Adee Honey Farms was not always the largest beekeeper in the U.S. but is
without a doubt today ( approx. 85,000 hives as told to me by Bob Adee ).

 I do not know the cost of opening the doors each month but Bell Honey
Farms in Florida said their cost was approx. $200,000 a month.

A few warning sounds are starting to come from the Adee Honey Farms
location.

What I have heard & seen:

The worst honey crop since keeping bees. The asking price for Adee honey on
the Midwest Honey hot line is higher than whats around by quite a bit. Two
long time buyers of Adee honey have been calling around looking for honey.

Bees coming out of the midwest are in terrible shape. I have dropped
everything and spent many weeks getting mine into shape. All of the midwest
beekeepers I have spoke with have been.

California is the last chance of Adee honey Farms salvaging the season and
creating cash flow. I know from doing research on an almond article last
spring Brent Adee had trouble getting hives placed in almonds due to the
tough grading standards.

I believe the huge Adee machine is trying to turn things around in
California after the failure of Dakota honey crops.

The moves so far by Adee Honey Farms make sense but still a gamble. Success
depends on two things.

Can the stressed Midwest colonies be brought up to grading standards in
time, can each unit be rented and can the huge Adee machine find enough
cash flow to last until almond brokers pay up.

Another problem for all of Midwest honey producers is how long will the
drought and above normal summer temps last. Sub soils moisture levels are
worse than the dust bowl days.

Can a big payday in almonds sustain Adee Honey farms through another "even
worse Dakota honey crop senario in summer 2007" due to prolonged drought if
is what happens?

If the Adee's get a big honey crop in summer 2007 will all their longtime
customers (built up over many many years) come back?

The above is only what I see and hear from my sources. Adee Honey Farms has
weathered many a storm and most likely will again.

Bob