Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:04:59 -0700
>Given all this I am surprised how much time and energy is spent on Bee-l
>criticising people like Dee Lusby. I don’t understand how Dee is part of
>the problem <

Ted and others, I do not think Dee is part of the problem.  Where I disagree
with her is what she professes as the reason for her "success".
I will not accept that small cell is the answer.  I have small cell frames,
and so do a very large number of other beekeepers.  Mann Lake sells small
cell frames from a few at a time to semi loads full.  I also disagree with
her spin on white sugar used to feed bees.  I feed it and so does almost
every beekeeper I have talked to.
Her success is due to africanized bees which she says she does not have.  It
is not possible to open mate queens in the Tuscon area or any other highly
africanized area and not have africanized bees.
As I said I have small celled frames and I buy mite resistant survivor mutts
and I still have to treat for mites or watch most of my bees die from PMS.
I am all for non-treatment if it works.  My bottom line would improve
considerably. I applaud anyone who is breeding for mite resistance.  If I
could run a large enough operation to select for resistance I would be doing
it too.
The new beekeepers that sign on to the small cell non-treatment theology
refuse to treat because Dee and others don't.  They loose their bees and
create a sink of disease and mites to contaminate the beehives around them.
If they are going to succeed they need to start with bees from non-treatment
operations and maintain queens from those operations.
Dave