From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 13:07:16 -0500
Why the great loss variation among good beeks is a vexing problem for sure. I don't believe that it is luck and I don't believe that it is PPB on the part of the unfortunate sufferers of high loss. Climate change may cause local season acceleration in northern areas but would that not put us in a similar climate to traditional areas a ways south where bees normally do even better? Local drought/dearth should effect all beeks in the area and disproportionately those with high concentrations in large yards but we don't seem to be hearing this. Novel strains of existing viruses (DWV) or new virus epidemics could well be happening, seems to be some good evidence. A comprehensive sampling of apiaries with low and high loss in otherwise similar conditions should be able to shed light on this hypothesis. How could migratory beeks be spreading a problem that they do not suffer from themselves unless it is due to different management systems? Do we have a good understanding on the roll of SHB beyond the nuisance factor? I personally have been blessed to not ever have seen them. I do believe that in my operation survival is closely related to season long varroa control all else being equal. My new norm is <1% is best, 2% look-out, and >3% call 911.

Some beeks consistently have low loss, some consistently high. It is the ones that normally have low loss that are now having high that I think will give us the best clues. This list is made up of a self selected group of incredibly smart and dedicated beekeepers covering commercial, small scale, and academic areas and global in scope. We have a unique ability to get to the bottom of it. I think gathering detailed data on management practice, natural and artificial nutrition, population etc. ext of low loss colonies and then applying them to a few colonies by beeks that are suffering would be very helpful. For those willing, keep close mite counts monthly throughout the season and especially post treatment. What treatments were applied and when and what climate conditions. Colony stores of pollen and honey, frame count of bees/brood, observed other known disease and any other info that I am not thinking of. If we do this on only a few colonies each and share the info we may find some amazing result.

We could well find that I have been very lucky and am walking on thin ice and that Pete was struck by lightning, but I do believe that the answer is knowable.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA