From:
Ron van Mierlo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:25:00 +0200
Having used the borescope (or boroscope if you like...) in all kinds of other things, I wondered if any

beekeepers have thought of applying one to investigate a colony without having to open the hive?

If the scope is handled with care (which you would be inclined to do anyway because of it's astronomical

price.....), the bees would not get disturbed from anything else but perhaps the light source in the scope

tip and the thin probing scope itself.

It would not be impossible either to drill some holes and add grommet like rubbers at strategic points in

the hive, for future entries of the scope. These rubbers would then need to be of a type (medical?) that

re-seals again after withdrawal of the scope. I suppose that many interesting things could be seen this

way from up close, while hardly changing anything built by the bees in the hive and not hurting one single

bee in the process.

With the digital cameras around today, even pictures could be taken through the scope if so wished.

One thing that I still ponder on though:

-Will the scope in the hive be seen as a great intruder or threat?

Anyway, I might give this all a try with the scope from work, next year when I get my own bee colony.

Ron van Mierlo