From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:49:01 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:28 am
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] deformed wing virus?

> Hello All,
>
> >Are you refereing to Ebola or E. coli?
>
> Ebola  (sorry for the typo)
>
> >The former is a non-spore
> forming virus
>
> Not according to everything I have read.
>
> 573,000 hits for virus spores on google. Perhaps the term *virus
> spores*paints all virus with a broad brush.

Yep - and the wrong paint.  I did the same.  Most are pages that discuss
bacterial spores and viruses.  Not viral spores.

> DWV spores is what beekeeping researchers have said.

They are incorrect.

> Perhaps the word " virus spore" is slang for whatever agent is
> present on
> the comb .

That may be, but it is technically incorrect.

> I am not a researcher so will gladly admit to being wrong if indeed
> a virus
> does not use spores.

OK - while I spend most of my time doing clinical work and not research,
I do spend a fair bit of time dealing with viruses.  Viruses do not form
spores.  Some are environmentally resistant, but they are not spores.

"And unlike Bacillus anthracis, which can survive in a dormant spore
state, viruses tend to lose potency when subject to dry conditions,
making them less likely to be spread through the mail."

The above is from one of those google sites.

From Dictionary.com:

   1. A small, usually single-celled reproductive body that is highly
resistant to desiccation and heat and is capable of growing into a new
organism, produced especially by certain bacteria, fungi, algae, and
nonflowering plants.
   2. A dormant nonreproductive body formed by certain bacteria in
response to adverse environmental conditions.

and

n : a small usually single-celled reproductive body produced by many
plants and some protozoans and that develops into a new individual; "a
sexual spore is formed after the fusion of gametes"

Please note the exclusion of the term virus.  To be a spore, one has to
ahve been a cell.  Virii, having never been a cell, cannot be a spore.

Keith