From:
Jeff Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:58:52 -0700
Hi all,

I could use some helpful advice on how to move some large beehives.

A couple of weeks ago I successfully moved three hives that consisted of
5-7 medium supers; some with an additional deep hive body (for weight and
standardization I am moving towards using all medium sized supers).

They way I did the last move was to open the hives the morning of the move
and tack on a screen to the top of each hive; then, using hive staples I
connected two supers together so that I could move 2 chambers at a time. I
planned on placing two screens between each two chamber section (one to
screen off the bottom, the other to become the top); however, this proved
to be too much work. Mostly in placing and tacking down the screens.

I finally stuffed screen into the entrances with a hive tool and simply
lifted the 2 chambers into a pickup truck in the evening.
Other than getting stung ~10 times (I rarely get stung), the move went
pretty well.

I would like to extract the remaining 4 hives before moving them (some have
6 supers on top of the 2-3 brood chambers); but I am concerned that pulling
off the supers will force the too many bees into too few hive bodies, and I
won't be able to contain all of the bees for the move.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.

Jeff Miller

Jeffrey Miller
2915 Avenida Valera
Carlsbad, California 92009
(760) 431-0707 - home phone
(760) 431-6705 - office phone
(760) 431-6909 - Fax
(877) 431-6705 - Toll free
http://www.invivoscribe.com

"All who have mediated on the art of governing mankind
 have been convinced that the fate of empires depends
 on the education of its youth."
                                                     - Aristotle -