From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2017 10:22:43 -0700
Hi All,

We sell hundreds of nucs each season and can give our buyers a rundown on
effective mite management methods.  But we are at a loss for those
purchasing packages to put into top bars.  I fully understand that many top
bar beekeepers claim that mites are not an issue in top bar hives.  But I
observe many top bar colonies that obviously died from mite overload.

The effective "natural" miticides thymol, formic acid, oxalic acid, and
hops beta acids are, due to the touching top bars, more difficult to apply
effectively to TBHs.  I'd like to be able to recommend validated,
evidence-based methods for treating varroa in TBHs, backed by actual mite
counts and long-term survival of the colonies.

I'm not looking for speculation or arguments, just valid information that I
can pass on.  On List or off.

Thanks,
Randy

--