From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 06:59:29 -0500
K&W Jarrett wrote:
>  For those of you that think all syrup's are the same, fill a quart
> jar with type 55 hfsc & one with 100% sucrose put it out side for a
> month. Then bring it inside for a day and try to pure out the type 55
> hfcs, good luck it will be as hard as a rock, but the sucrose will
> make a mess on your floor as it pours out.
Bad test since the bees are storing "nectar" whose source is either a
mix of fructose and glucose or pure sucrose. What should be tested is
the condition of that stored and changed "nectar" in the cells.Plus, the
conditions in the hive are different than the conditions outside.

In both feeds, they have added enzymes which will break down some of the
sucrose to fructose and glucose, depending on the concentration of the
syrup. I am not sure what happens to the HFCS. So what is the actual
composition of the stored HFCS and sugar feed? Much would depend on when
fed and the conditions at that time.

Back to my standard reply on winter feeds based on a British study many
years ago. Sugar best, HFCS next and honey last as overwinter feed in
cold climates. It all has to do with solids in the feed and the ability
of the bee to get rid of them in the dark of winter.

Second part of standard reply. I have not fed my bees in ten years
(except candy in spring, even though they have plenty of stores), so
they overwinter on honey so I have no ax to grind.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine