From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2015 08:14:12 -0400
I was at a meeting when Richard first revealed his results.  I fully believe him for his area but he's located in the east and I'd consider his location rather far south.  Our own surveys agree with Medhat.  Clearly the seasonal dynamics are very different as Randy and I have pointed out more than once.  Climate clearly appears to be a major factor in the life cycle of Nosema, and I suspect different strains of Nosema.  We've also done more work with this pathogen and viruses.  I'm still convinced that Nosema/Virus interactions have a major influence on whether Nosema ceranae is or is not a serious disease.  And Randy and I have seen it changing in its seasonal appearance.  Early on, it was in almost all colonies at all times of year.  Now it disappears in the summer, but comes back in  fall and usually peaks in late fall, winter.

The recent study by Rick Fell lab is excellent study from north west USA.
However in my surveillance and monitory program we did in Laberta for years.
Nosema is consisted a serious disease and we lost a lot of colonies because of
it.

J.J. Bromenshenk