From:
"Victor M.Kroenke" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:23:02 -0600
Chris Blanchard wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I have a newbee question regarding locating my hives in my backyard.  I have
> a 1/2 acre backyard and plan to setup 2 hives on the back property line.
>  what would be the best way to position these hives in regards to each other
> (i.e., side by side a few feet apart, landing boards away from each other,
> etc).  Also when I have to mow the grass, will a riding lawn mower bother the
> bees or should I use a weedeater to cut the grass around the hives for like
> five feet or more from the hive?  Please post a response to the BEE-L or you
> can email me directly at [log in to unmask]  Thanks in advance!
>
> Chris Blanchard
> Wilmington, NC
I will try to give you my general rules that I follow in setting up
hives in a
permanent location.
Given a choice between shade and sun I perfer the sun.  My hives seem to
do much
better in sunny locations.  Try to face the openings to face either
south or east.
Raise the hives off the ground.  Use concrete blocks or build some
stands keeping
in mind that these hives may weigh up around 300-400 pounds with a honey
crop.
I can normally mow around hives with a riding mower provided the hives
don't get
bumped.  Slow the engine speed down around the hives.  Don't use a
gasoline powered
weedeater around beehives.  The whine of a 2 cycle engine irritates the
bees and
they will attack.  Space your hives for your own convenience.
Enjoy your bees,
Vic
Kansas,USA