From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 13:52:50 -0500
Greetings all,
     Thought the U.S. does not use the metric system of measurement, as a
science teacher, I must teach it to my students.  When the system was
devised after the French Revolution, it was decided that a new measuring
system was needed.  The first unit that was defined was the meter.  It was
equal to one ten millionth of the distance between the equator and the North
Pole.
     From the metric measurement of length came the units that defined
volume as well.  Since volume is actually the amount of space in an area, it
was determined that the amount of space in a cube that was 1 cm. X 1 cm. X 1
cm. equaled a milliliter.  Hence, 1cc= 1ml.  There are 1000 milliliters or
1000 cc's per liter.
Tomorrow's lesson will be the difference between mass and weight!
Hope this helps.
Scott