From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 09:50:27 +0100
Hi Robin & all

> So perhaps Jim's idea of fitting cone escapes as entries is
> the best.  The more trouble it is however the less I feel inclined
> to spend my time at my risk for most often a poor lot of bees.

I have always considered that the taking of swarms is important PR for
beekeeing and beekeepers in general. In these days the formal education
system does very little about bees, and bees are no longer common in back
yards so that children do not become accustomed to them.

So when these children become adults they propagate their own lack of
knowledge in the form of instilling dread and fear in their own offspring.

By responsibly collecting swarms, we help to redress the balance.

I find Robin's use of the words "a poor lot of bees" unusual...

In my beekeeping career I have collected just short of 1,000 swarms... Not
one of these has proved to have disease (other than a few carrying Acarine).
They have been of mixed temper, but I have found that even 'evil' bees will
draw foundation into comb for me in the interim before I can replace their
queen.

I have also found multiple swarms useful for populating mating nucs.

Getting back to the swarm collecting box... There is a neat way of ensuring
all the late returning bees are collected in the box.
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/standardswarm.html
gives details near the bottom of the page.

On a similar page...
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/marburg.html
The Marburg Swarm box is described and this can be utilised to combine
several swarms that have been housed on frames for a few days (for use as a
mating nuc workforce) and at the same time filter out drones and queens.

The tedium and effort in making these boxes is rapidly repayed in ease of
use. You get the added PR benefit of 'looking professional' whilst
collecting the bees.

Regards & 73s... Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping & Bee Breeding Website
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman