From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:45:09 -0500
Hello Juanse & All,
Juanse wrote:
> I did compare with and without the top entrance and by memory we collected
> some 15% more honey. Now is a standard proceduce in our operation.

I think the figure is close to mine. At least 10% increase for sure. Only
those which keep bees for a living are constantly trying to improve hive
performance (which helps the bottom line)

Example:
Honey right now in my area is in the buck fifty range in 55 gallon drums so
lets use the figure in the example.  Missouri is not the Dakotas but a 100
pound average is a real figure for many years.

100 pound / 15% = 15 pounds of honey per hive

$1.50 X 15 = $22.50

1000 hives X $22.50 = $22,500  revenue increase this year.

In areas where honey crops do not run a couple hundred pounds a hive ( such
as the Peace River district of Canada) a 15% increase is a big deal. I have
said many times even a poor beekeeper can be successful with excellent
locations and excellent pollination contracts. In those areas many times
four deeps are placed on the hive and not checked again till time to pull
honey. In Missouri we have to work to get a 100 pound *average* as the state
average is around fifty pounds.

Thanks for the post Juanse! Should wake a few beeks up.

bob