Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:12:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
In contemporary western society, and indeed globally, we are experiencing a tidal wave of sound and speech, together with relentless pressure for personal expression. However, much of this is noise rather than genuine communication. Such excess indicates a misunderstanding about what expression and dialogue should achieve for humanity. As a result, discourse becomes superficial or even a monologue in which listening is replaced by hearing.  

Interesting point,  but it misses a huge fact.  This Tidal wave is because of both the desire to be heard,  and the even bigger desire to search and listen.  I will take all this noise,  as fast as I can get it.  And wade thru as quickly as I can.

I recall the option,  hours spent rereading  ABC,  or old bee journals.  I much prefer the lively debates and discussion  over the solitude of reflection on the words I had to hunt down and read.  History on pages does not excite me at all.  Listening to Gene Killion recount the good ole days is annoying.  Finding out what Randy and Jaunes others are up to all over the world debating and watching the arguments of Jim and Richard is what many of us crave.   Silent reflection on the writings and teachings of Jay Smith may interest some,  but for many of us its disturbing.

While some may ponder that we need to listen and reflect silently,  the vast majority of us are hungry and searching for more,  including lively debate and argument.(intelligent and non personal of course)  Instead of Socrates or Plato pondering the grounds or walking the Lyceum,  I much prefer Tom Cruise in Minority report,  sorting data as fast as I can,  hungry for what relevant to what's on my mind now.  Given the rise of the internet, and other communication forms,  I would say I am in the majority,  not minority.

Discourse has always been superficial, who really recalls the lively discourse of Neville Chamberlin?  Or maybe the loud calls against Abraham Lincoln,  or the debates that gave women the votes and blacks human rights??  No  those discourse were heard and abandoned,  just as we do here.  Sorted weighed and put in the correct category very quickly for the most part.

I fully understand some here enjoy the readings and writings and reflections,  just realize that there are a huge number of us who take the other side.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2