From:
David Neel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:06:57 -0800
The profitability of Farmers markets depends on several factors. A well established market with a consistent, possibly even year round high traffic volume is the most desirable. A market like this would justify the expense of jumping through the hoops that Mr Harris mentioned.
  Most markets do not require the certification that Mr. Harris referenced.
  Another factor is your marketing savvy. Many beekeepers really push the zip code standard to show how close to the customer their honey comes from. This may work fairly well in some markets, I personally feel it is very limiting in long term profitability terms. It limits you to the types of honey that are available in the immediate vicinity. If you have out yards that you harvest different varieties, you may be setting yourself up for a hard sell if they come to you looking only for area honey.
 I push the taste differences of honey. You would be amazed at how many people are flabbergasted to find out there is more than one type of honey. I have a huge following in the Seattle area who look to me first for buckwheat, meadowfoam and fireweed honey.
 The area has a lot to do with market success. you are not going to get the premium price for your honey in a rural market, but you will in a urban market.It may be VERY worth the trip. Make sure you have done a cost basis analysis and REALLY know what it costs you to produce that pound of honey. I see many beekeepers who price their product too low and have great sales, but end up in the red.
If you can provide a product that stands above whet people are used to and you can market it well, farmers markets can be VERY profitable.

David Neel
Owner- Island Apiaries
www.islandapiaries.com