From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 18:23:29 -0700

> >Now key point that rising Co2 is probably something we should work on.
> And that this is good research.  It does what research  should do,  raises
> even more questions.

To the ecologist, the question is how this is going to affect all bee
species, not just honey bees.
To the beekeeper, the question is how to adapt.  We can feed pollen sub,
but do we also need to compensate for the decrease in trace elements?

> > we opted in 2 yards to feed a dry sub thats around 42% protien.  Worked
> great,  robbing stopped and they really took to the sub.  The VAST majority
> of those hives collapsed. probably close to 80% loss.

You're not the only one who has had that experience.  That's why I ran the
study with Kirk Anderson's lab.  And why I no longer feed dry sub in fall.

 >Does this apply to all plants?  to some??  is the offset in proteins
cancelled out by more availability? ( I get the point they may have to
forage more and shorter life,  but is that offset by higher nectar values?)

It appears to be pretty universal.  You can't offset lack of protein with
sugar.

>Randy is right,  its great research and question,  but I think personally
> we are way premature in speculation  that its relevant, to who,  and where?

Scientific extrapolation of a finding is common practice to plan the
direction of research.  I don't know how this thread got sidetracked into
the media frenzy--I'm just talking biology.

> >I seem to recall your pollen trial that was published showed that there
> was not a huge perk from feeding before spring pollen's became available.
>  seems to me that work alone would make one question the value of high fall
> protein?

Perhaps the elevated CO2 is affecting your memory Charlie.  Those who
supply the best bees to almonds are all about fall protein feeding, whether
from natural sources or from sub (although not from stored sub).  Spring
feeding during poor weather also works wonders.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA