Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 09:26:29 -0400
Dick's comment on my post lead me to wonder just where any ingested
systemic pesticide gets into the bees system. The obvious answer is after
the honey stomach/crop, since that is where digestion takes place. But a
lot is going on in the crop, including addition of enzymes, so is there any
effect of ingested pesticides on the bee before it gets any further?

There is a reason for the question, since bees are affected by nectar
sources with neonics at specific concentrations as shown in the RFID
studies, and that effect seems to be fairly quick as the bees are
disoriented and do not make it back to the hive. That would seem to
indicate that the pesticide has entered the bee's system before moving from
the crop.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine