Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:27:44 -0400
>They were testing the toxins put out by live bacteria--not the cry toxins
>produced by the plants.

I think this is a point of confusion for many people.

My understanding is that there are no bacteria in or associated with the Bt plants, but rather that the plants produce Bt toxin in the same way that the bacteria do -- without the bacteria.

The article being mentioned was, according to my understanding, finding actual bacteria in honey and analyzing them.

This is in itself interesting, as most of us assume that bacteria cannot survive and grow in honey.  The botulism problem, if it actually exists to any extent, has to do with spores being found in the product, not vegetative bacteria.

That said, I recall a packer at ABF about ten years ago mentioning that Wal-Mart requires bacterial counts from packers providing honey to their system.