From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 09:24:58 -1000
The honey being offered the west/left coast packer was not sour honey
although
I thought the packer was pretty sour. I'm glad to hear that his price
fixing attempt
is not nation wide. I think Sue was mentioned as being the culprit.
        About the newbes and the NHB issue. The literature put out by the NHB
is very impressive and the packer oriented projects that the NHB does are
very
high exposure stuff, let me be clear that I as a upstart packer thinks that
the NHB
 is giving me wonderful exposure so I would never bad mouth the NHB. I was
only
sharing some news that I have read about the efforts by NHB to start the
.01cents
assessment on producers as well as first handlers. The beekeeper/honey
producers
I have spoken with have expressed anger about the NHB causing them to lose
 penny per pound as the first handlers/packers have passed this cost back
to the producers
and that the NHB is only for packers mostly the giant packers. Like I say
as a newbie packer
I enjoy the services of the NHB.
        And by the way NHB is not voluntary it is mandated by the federal
government
and is punishable by law, and this gets my stuff really hot to have yet one
more
intrusion by big uncle and makes me suspect. Big Uncle programs are
bothersome and
I thought some others might have some thoughts.

                Walter