From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:34:05 -0400
Hi all
Not like me to disagree with Randy and Aaron, but I think a lot of beekeepers use smoke "too little, too late."

In Upstate NY the weather is quite variable and often not that great. When I worked as a bee inspector, we were advised to use plenty of smoke to keep the bees from getting riled up and being a nuisance after we left the vicinity.

It is a lot easier to subdue bees before they are riled up that afterwards. If you can pick a real nice day to work bees, sunny and warm, smoke isn't that necessary. If it's about to rain, cloudy, cool, etc. and you have to work them, best to have the smoker raring to go.

A smoker is a great tool which can be used both to puff smoke gently and to pour it on when needed. Firing a smoker up and having it ready to use as needed is the hallmark of a skilled beekeeper.

PLB