From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 03:58:45 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Because beekeepers are now seeing survivor Italians tending to  be darker.
Does this suggest that the feral Italians are leading the  recovery in this
race?  IF it were a domestic honeybee led recovery,  wouldn't one expect the
yellow Italian types to be noticed as the  survivors?>>

What sort of climate do you have? Being in the UK  I'm no good at US
conditions. There have been numerous anecdotal reports here  over the years about
strains getting darker with time; for instance, I remember  reading somewhere that
UK bees got darker during World War II, when of course  imports were
impossible. I've always assumed the likelihood of selection against  at least some of
the inherited characteristics. What could be going on in your  area?

    Regards,

    Robert Brenchley