From:
Tim Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 09:34:04 -0600
Now you've really got me curious Tim!  Did you truly observe a larva moving
at -40C?  Or did it move when you warmed it up?

Randy;
	I have read with interest the comments about us in the north not
having to worry about wax moth as our winters are so cold. I wanted to make
the point that gradual temperature drop doesn't kill wax moth larvae. If a
system is used to rapidly cool down comb with wax moth it will kill them. I
have seen in many locations throughout Alberta that the wax moth was
surviving the frigid temperatures, I used to buy bee operations and of
course this was done in the winter. All the equipment was gone through,
which is where I noticed the moving wax moth. When stacked supers were
pulled down the cocooned wax moth between the supers would start to move.
They were not moved to a warm area. Like so many pests we deal with, they
are tough little buggers.
The only control that we practise is to isolate the equipment with wax moth
and get in on the bees as soon as possible in the spring.
Tim Townsend