From:
Jon Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2014 09:47:00 -0500
Randy writes

< Jon, you blabber. ( Edited for brevity )

Yes. I do. Mia culpa.

< Deroot found a diet high in AA’s is harmful.

As I read the study, His best results were supplemented with AA’s. When looking for apples to apples he had consistently better longevity with the addition of fat, Linseed oil or whole milk ( powder) as compared to the same protocol without fat. These are poor quality sources. Though most protocols were devoid of fat and it is never specifically mentioned and analyzed.

Too much of anything is bad.

His syrup was supersaturated. Perhaps to keep colloidal sized hydrolosates in suspension, it was a slurry with small sized crystals and high osmolarity. To this he added powdered AA’s. As I read the study, his AA’s were solute not added as a solution. His osmolarity may have even exceeded what bees can tolerate. 5.5% Travasol is 880 mOsm/L.

Peptides are affordable, available, approximately isotonic and can have reasonably complete profiles. Like DeGroot, there may be some need for supplementation where a specific essential AA is deficient. Powdered AA’s aren’t cheap. If a pollen substitute is too expensive it won’t be practical.

With regard to your fluorescing pollen sub:

Was it applied to the bee as a pollen sized particle? My reading reveals ‘foreign’ matter stored with pollen in combs, I see that bees ‘groom’ pollen off their hairs and place it into the pollen sacks on their legs. This behavior is known. I understand that patties aren’t stored. I realize grinders are expensive. Further they likely are not available to just anyone due to a potential to weaponize pathogens such as anthrax.

As to your current endeavors in fats, good luck. I remind you that like AA’s there are essential fatty acids. I continue to encourage you to examine existing nutritional products from Nestle’, Abbot and Sandoze. They give known vegetable sources such as soy, safflower and palm.

I thank Randy for his continuing sage insight and diplomacy.

JB