From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:13:19 -0400
>I too have seen a little red dot on only two of my bees on the thorax as =
>Dennis describes.  This dot is bright red, almost crimson.  I thought =
>after seeing it the first time that I was seeing things, but I saw it on =
>a second bee a month or so later.

Don't want to just add a "me too" here but I saw a few bees this weekend
with the red dot in question. Just to make sure it was not Varroa. I have
seen a number of bees coming in with pollen that matches the color and would
guess that the area is one where the bee cannot groom the substance off.

When I first saw the dot I thought I was seeing a marked queen on the
landing board. After a closer look I could see that the bee was a worker.  A
second marked bee landed a few seconds later. Since I did not have my veil,
I was a bit unwilling to stick my head much closer :)