From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:55:23 -0800
I got this note direct.  Maybe it was meant for the list.

> We have been quoting previous posts, but I have noticed on a lot of
> occasions that the name of the previous poster is not posted.  I have CRS
> disease and can't remember who posted what from posts more that a day
> previous...

FWIW, I often deliberately strip off attributions for several reasons, and
only direct questions to specific people or make attributions where they are
essential to the understanding of the current post.  Here are my reasons:

1.) BEE-L is a round table, free-for-all.  Anyone can jump in anywhere with
so much as a PMFJI.  I don't want to limit the discussion by pointing to
specific individuals, except where necessary.  Besides the attributions are
often seriously erroneous, especially after several rounds of discussion.

2.) I often don't want to put people on the spot.  Playing personalities,
and getting people defensive is usually not productive..

3.) While the source of an original statement is something we need to know
to assist in initial evaluation it, once we have that information, the
comment goes into the general pool of ideas.

4.) Facts and opinions have to be assessed on the basis of their own merits,
not just on the basis of the source.  Often people who are very wrong about
some things are very right about others.

5.) Ideas IMO don't belong to anyone once they are released into the wild.

allen