From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 07:41:08 -0400
This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the BEE-L list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove quotes of previously posted material

During several cold and/or wet springs here in Piedmont South Carolina,
I have observed bees collecting pollen from the cups formed by fallen
leaves. Oak and sometimes pine are blooming at the time and the rain
washes large amounts of pollen onto the ground, which pools in the water
from fallen leaves.  When the water evaporates there is a rim of
concentrated pollen which the bees collect and pack into their pollen
sacks.  I have not tested the honey to see what is present.  The year I
first observed this I could not even taste the honey without an allergic
response.  I am only sensitive to oak-related pollens, so I suspect that
at least that year they collected considerable quantities.  The maple
had been killed by frost that year, and I had not started offering
open-fed dry pollen substitute in winter.

Carolyn
Lakeland Beekeepers Association