From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 23:41:44 -0500
>This is just an idea maybe some one has had the same thing.

I agree with Harold but would go even farther and say humidity, soil
moisture and a bunch of different conditions effect nectar flow. Flows of
the same plant can vary even within the same county.

I did see my first bee working Dutch Clover today but only one.

I spoke with two large commercial beekeepers today by phone.

The Missouri beekeeper reported the bees were not working the Black Locust
which is my observation. They were all over the Willows getting pollen but
not a bee on my Black Locust trees. I did check several times at the times I
believe they would normally forage but something was not right for Black
Locust nectar today.
Maybe tomorrow!

The other beekeeper  is in Nebraska and just returned from winter in Texas
last week. He reports no action this week on Black locust or Dutch Clover.

He says his bees have finally recovered from his last California almond
pollination. Wonders what the holdup is with Apiguard registration. Reports
say the product will be in a chalking tube for the large beekeeper but too
late for this spring use.

My tests over the last year show the product about the same as Apilife var
in varroa control. USDA testing got the same results as mine. I believe Api
Life Var might be slightly easier to use but not sure what the final
apiguard product will be like. The experimental apiguard thymol is in a tub
and you place the required amount on a card (which is silver coated on one
side).

Bob