From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:16:33 -0400
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> To help bees, we too should do absolutely nothing.

…. Yoon is the first I have seen present the above viewpoint in many years.
>I guess we will have to
>"agree to disagree"

Hello Bob,

I interpret the statement to mean do nothing in the areas of propping them
up with treatments and stimulants.  ‘Good old fashioned breeding from your
best stock’ as yourself and other breeders do I would think still applies
here.  I like the statement as Yoon may have intended it to be
understood.

,,,I have taken many ferals from
>buildings trying to find a survivor and in the end they all succumbed to
>mites
>when left alone over a time span.

I have experienced this also, and it can be very discouraging.
BUT I have found that ferals are not created equal.  I have discovered
that I need to assess the ferals and weed out on average 50% of the
duds 'OR more' depending on remoteness of acquired ferals.  THEN, get
these 'selected best stock ferals' out into a separate apiary and away
from the mite pressure from other domestic colonies ASAP.  I have managed
to establish a self-sustaining apiary of ferals by doing this.

I believe Seeleys study of ferals in the Arnot Forrest illustrates that if
you can get you best stock of honeybees off into a separate area AWAY from
colonies with poor resistance, they will do much better with mite
resistance at the colony level.

Conversely,  I attempted to establish self-sustaining colonies in another
apiary where I assess newly acquired feral stock, by bringing in a
daughter colony from my most preferred stock.  Much the same as Seeley
discovered, this colony seemed to loose its resistance and succumb to
mites in 2 years.

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'