From:
Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 18:49:16 -0500
About open feeding being an invitation to the neighborhood bees, who may come
complete with all manner of problems.

Let us not forget that one form of open feeding is a nectar flow.  I very
much doubt that a field of bloom will be monopolized by only one apiary if
there are others within flight distance.

Personally, I do not do open feeding because of the robbing potential and the
difficulty of controlling the feed input to individual colonies.   But I
wouldn't consider open feeding to be any more of a disease/mite spreading
risk than a blooming locust tree.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD