Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 08:42:00 +1300
My first experiences with marking queens was with ordinary fingernail
polish.  I marked about three queens and watched them systematically
pulled to pieces before I decided the method was not what it was
cracked up to be...

About 10 years later, it was pointed out to me that the solvent
(acetone?) is very similar chemically to the alarm pheromone.  (Now that
I've repeated this story for another 10 years, can someone confirm that
is in fact the case???).

I've used the method and materials described by Kerry Clark ever since,
with no noticeable problems.  I have noted the occasional queen trying
to stretch her legs up toward the mark just after application; someone
with me suggested it might be cold due to the evaporation of the
solvent?

I have seen only one or two marks almost eaten off (presumably) during
the lives of the queens (out of hundreds).

And the mneumonic (is that the word?) I learned to remember the
colour/year is:
           Year ends in
When          1 or 6
You           2 or 7
Requeen,      3 or 8
Get the       4 or 9
Best          5 or 0

Nick Wallingford
President, National Beekeepers Assn of New Zealand
Internet [log in to unmask]