From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:08:03 -0800
--- On Sun, 2/26/12, Lionel Evans <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> If you are comparing Apples to Apples, the 10 frame hive in
> mostly used by American beeks. Each frame has approximately
> 6000 cells and the 10 would be 60,000 for bee space. From
> there you may go as elevated as you would like.
> Lots of us use 2 brood chambers(deeps), for brood rearing,
> 120,000 bee capacity. Supers vary in size. From deeps, to
> mediums to shallows.

reply;
That is not doing a broodnest to me. For you also have to have 2-3 frames of honey each side for heat and cold thermoregulation, plus back storage usage for lull times. So to me that is about 5-6 frames max for brood in each box with rest honey, for more security for having live bees. Also why 3 deeps used to be common size for unlimited broodnest chambers. Then aboe that used to be honey surplus for taking/getting.

Dee A. Lusby