From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:50:38 -0800
In the East Bay valleys of No. CA we have relatively mild winters and have
a couple to a few partly full (30-60%) frames of brood most of the winter.
I generally run 3/8 inch deep solid bottom boards from Oct through Feb and
3/8 inch deep screened bottom boards the rest of the year. We have a winter
flow of eucalyptus and some citrus from Oct through Mar with nectar
evaporation issues along with some hot summer days. Therefore, I use a
shallow feeder (used only when necessary) super with a fully
screened bottom and two 3/4 inch screened holes in the front of the
super, on top of each colony (6) all year long with no inner cover. The
bottom entrance is reduced by 3/4 in winter. Sense I started this approach
I've never have any humidity/water/molding issues in the top of the hive
when other local folks who use inner covers/insulation/absorbing boards
have.

Scott, Livermore, CA