From:
Peter Chiang Mai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:32:17 -0500
I have been reading from several sources that the honey from stingless bees is in the range of 9 - 15 times more expensive than honey from A.M.  The volume is much lower of course but the price higher and the forage area smaller.

The one thing that I do not understand this how keeping stingless bees (Meliponina) is a sustainable activity.  I have asked around and it seems that the way to get a colony is to go into the wild and take one.  From my perspective that does not seem to be too smart.  Does anyone know where to find information about breeding stingless queens or doing splits?  Google suggests that there was a lot of interest about ten years ago but few practical details.  Australia seems to have had much activity but again it is not too clear what is really happening.

Does anyone know where to look?