From:
John Macdougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2017 16:29:48 +0000
"....if you can rig up a system with supers you may have a winning strategy"

I used long deep hives for about 6 years. In fact, my training and first years were on Dartington hives - frames 14"x12", 22 frames per box, 4 small (half size) rectangular supers fit on top and more can be added on top of them, entrances at both ends. Quite versatile - easy to lift the supers on and off, single large colony or division board allowed a colony at each end - great for splitting, on legs so working at waist height - better for the back (I am in my 7th decade and suffer from back pain now and again). However, am now using British Standard Nationals with full size supers. I have to say that I think the bees do better in vertical hives and as BS Nationals are so popular in this country it is easy to get compatible equipment -first or second hand. Does mean I am back to heavy lifting though.  But nothing fundamentally wrong with long hives at all.