Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:04:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
The post about building hive bodies got me to thinking about painting hives: it seems that a lot of people don't understand the basics about paint, so I thought I'd share what I know.  I own a small sign shop, so paint is very central to what we do.  

The very best (and longest lived) paints on the market now are 100% acrylic latex (both primer and topcoat).  They have huge advantages over oil base (especially on bee hives) due to their flexibility, breathability and resistance to UV, which destroys oil base.  Oil base will not stay on bee hives long term, because of the high vapor pressure from driving lots of moisture off.  This is especially true in the winter.  That moisture builds up behind the oil base paint film (seeking equilibrium), and actually pushes it off the wood (same thing in old, uninsulated houses).  

Properly applied 100% acrylic latex won't peel because it's permeable, and allows water vapor to pass through.  The only caveat with acrylic latex paints is that they need a bit of help to "lock" into the wood.  You need to break the "mill glaze" (the shiny look) of freshly planed lumber.  I use a palm sander and 60 grit paper.  Just a quick scuff to "key" the surface, and your primer (we all use primer, right?) will lock into the wood.  Two coats of 100% acrylic latex top coat, and you now have a durable finish (15 years or more in the North).

Regards,

Todd.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2