Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 05:58:59 -0700
--- On Wed, 7/7/10, Bill T <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Michael Palmer posted on another forum that the sugar method raised
 nosema
>>> counts on hives in Maine. This was a study done by Tony
Jadczak and his son
>>> Alex on 184 hives in Maine and NY. Maybe
Mike will post the study here.
>Which is the preferred route, a bit of candy to prevent starvation but
might
>promote, for a very short time, some nosema, or just allowing
the bees to
>die, but fortunately it will not be from nosema, so we
can rest more easily.

In order for nosema to rise to lethal levels, it has to be already present in the colony.  Now the cause for lethality needs to be determines whether it was the feeding of sugar syrup or the continued inability of the bees to fly from the hives to deficate.  Don't know if that consideration was taken into account in the study.  Were there controls which didn't need feeding yet still had the same level of infection as those hives which succumbed to nosema?

Mike in LA