From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:32:07 -0500
At 07:41 AM 2/15/2008, Peter Borst wrote:
>I had not seen this study before and found it to be quite an eye opener.
>However, it must be kept in mind that while these miticides have a negative
>on bee colonies, the parasites against which they are used are much worse
>for the colony.

Neither the disease or cure are good for the Drones and sperm production or viability of the sperm.  But it seems to me with this information on the effects of both, that one should be careful when timing treatments as well as monitor to determine if treatments worked  and if a hive needs treated at a time earlier than planned.  It seems that a balanced approach is needed to minimized the negative effect of both the mites and the mitacides.  It makes a good argument to me that treatment in the fall after queen rearing has ceased is much preferable than spring treatments when drones are being reared for production.  Of course there is a threshold where the effect of mites exceeds that of the treatment, but one won't know when they have reached that point without monitoring.

-Tim