From:
RICHARD BARNES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 16:04:03 -0500
I wanted to brag a bit.  My son Patrick Barnes, won first place on his
advanced entomology project at the State Fair of Oklahoma.  The project was
his bee hives.  The display consisted of pictures and descriptions of the
necessary equipment, pictures of robbing a hive, pictures and description of
brood paterns both healthy and showing wax moth damage and scattered brood
caused by mites, pictures showing him demonstrating these to the local
elementary fourth grade and a paper stating what he has learned from this
project.   At the elementary school he demonstrated the equipment and also
demonstrated extraction using a small (4 frame) extractor.  The fair exhibit
also included the life cycle of the honey bee.  He placed eggs, larve,
pupae, and adults in 70% propanol in viles for display.  He also had honey
from four sources, spring wild flowers, black berry blossoms, watermelon
blossoms, and fall wild flowers.  The honey display showed the various
colors of honey.  Patrick is 13 years-old and has 4 hives of his own and he
doesn't let me help unless its something he can't do or hasn't seen before.

Richard Barnes