Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:41:54 -0900
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
Hi All,
    Just thought that I would throw my own two cents worth in here on the subject of frozen honey.  This fall I did an experiment with some honey that was extracted and held in the settling tank for a couple of days at 85 degrees Fahrenheit.  Several one pound bottles were drawn off from the bottom of the tank.  Some were placed in a standard freezer and kept there at about - 10 degrees Fahrenheit.  Some were placed in a warm area of the house.  Some were placed in the garage at about 60 degrees Fahrenheit.  The garage honey clouded up within a couple of weeks as I expected it would.  The honey in the freezer did not cloud at all as long as it was frozen and neither did the honey that was in the warm room (above 70 degrees).
    I rapidly thawed the frozen honey by placing it in a container of water that was about 80 degrees.  It was then placed in the same room with the honey that was never cooled or frozen.  Within 3 or 4 days it had begun to cloud up and is significantly more cloudy now a couple of weeks later.  The honey that was never frozen or cooled below room temperature is still as clear as it was when I bottled it up.  I can only conclude that the freezing somehow was a factor in the crystallization process.

Steve Victors
Big Lake, Alaska

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2