From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 07:07:25 -0500
>  For many years I have suffered devastating colony
>losses ...Due probably to the compounding effects of
>varroa, TM ...I've trapped
>several swarms in the isolated ridge woodlands that
>are showing 'remarkable brood patterns' and excelling
>in other good traits in comb building and foraging
>zeal.

I remember you posting on Norland about your problems. I thought at the
time you were having problems with TM. Now you have found some bees that
have great patterns and resist TM. Perhaps it isn't that the bees are
"ferals" but rather that you have found some good stock. The same could
have been "found" by selecting from "domestic" stock. It's just that you
didn't have to do the selection. Winter...the great equalizer...did it for
you. In my opinion. The same could be found in my stock, after selecting
for these traits...and there is nothing "feral" about my bees.

>I remember reading a fascinating article that Kirk
>Webster wrote.  He mentioned the practice of trucking
>some of his mating nucs in the isolated woodland hills
>for mating.  The reasons (please correct me if I'm
>wrong) if I recall was to gain more acclimated
>genetics from that of the ferals.

I recently talked to Kirk about this. We were talking about supercedure
queens...good or bad. I find that many of my supercedure queens are very
good, and feel that colonies that supercede successfully, should be
selected for...better than swarming to requeen themselves...yes? And I
wondered about the use of isolated mating yards...are we leaving something
important behind? Are there traits...even in some of our weaker
stock...that we would lose by using isolated mating yards? Anyway, Kirk
says the reason he has isolated mating yards is to get away from all the
bees in the valley. His valley locations have bee yards on top of bee
yards, on top of bee yards.

  Kirk will be speaking at Lewisburg, PA on November 11...

Are you attending his lecture? You should, and then you can ask him these
questions. His bees have been untreated for several years. He says they are
getting better at tolerating varroa. In the past, he blows the bees out in
the fall in colonies suffering from PMS. This year, he is seeing healthy
bees and brood, and hasn't had to blow many out. No ferals, no small cells.
Just years of selection starting with Russians starting in the late 90's.
Mike