From:
Rick Fell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 07:44:41 +0600
Bill:
Sounds alot like the bee parasitic mite syndrome described by Shimanuki and
coworkers from the Beltsville Bee Lab.  Shim has described a number of the
symptoms which include spotty brood pattern, Varroa infestation, infected
'c' stage larvae similar to EFB, dead pupae similar to AFB (without being
ropey) or sacbrood, affected brood light brown in color, scales light brown
to black and easy to remove.  You might want to contact Shimanuki at the
Beltsville Lab and get a more complete story.
Rick

>I was going through some of my bees today that had just come off
>cucumber pollination and noticed some strange symptoms.  I saw dead
>larvae and pupae, usually confined to single frames in a hive, and
>the hive had a bad odor.  I pulled honey June 1 and put on TM
>grease patties, have no history of AFB, and this stuff didn't rope.
>It doesn't look like EFB either.  I have low to moderate Varroa
>infestations, having treated last fall, and I am about to treat
>again.  Is anyone else seeing symptoms like this?  I have a feeling
>it is the "mite complex" or whatever.  I have requeened the worst
>hives, and going to give all concerned another shot of TM and
>Apistan.  What do you guys think?
>
>Bill Lord
>Louisburg, NC
>--
>WILLIAM G LORD
>E-Mail  : wglord@franklin
>Internet: [log in to unmask]
>Phone   : 9194963344

Richard Fell     e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Department of Entomology, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061
703-231-7207  Fax 703-231-9131