From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 19:32:49 -0400
On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, Peter Wilson wrote:

> While Formic Acid is found in honey and ants, this does not make FORMIC
> ACID a benign substance.
>
> It is an acid that burns flesh without pain.
>
> When you can smell the fumes you have done damage to your lungs.
>
> Many beekeepers have experienced loss queenloss using formic.
>
> This is not a MITE PANACEA.
>
> FORMIC ACID is dangerous stuff to fool around with even if it is CHEAP.
>
> My fear is that because Formic is so cheap , beekeepers will forgo
>
> forgo testing for mites.
>
> Don't be too hasty to run the border with Formic Acid.
>
> The jury is still out on FORMIC ACID.
>

> regards
>
> Peter Wilson

The jury is certainly in on Formic acid...and I'm a little surprised that
a fellow Canadian wouldn't be aware of it....since we've been able to use
it for a while now...

I never said that formic acid was a benign substance or that it was a
panacea....and as far as queen loss....if you use formic acid at the
recommended rate, this should be quite rare....

Battery acid can burn flesh....and inhaling carbon monoxide can kill
you....but with due care and responsibility, these substances are QUITE
SAFE.   Also, if we prove to sufficiently bother honeybees, we can expect
to be stung...sometimes several times...but we use precautions, smoke and
our abilities of observation....and come away with as few stings as
possible

Point being....Formic acid is a reasonably safe and effective treatment...

Regards,
                          Ian Watson