From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 12:21:22 -0400
8 ways to help the bee population
May 24, 2012
http://www.thestar.com/

> New evidence points to the neonicotinoid pesticide used to soak conventionally raised corn seeds may be the very thing that is wiping out our bee population.

> Stop eating corn. The treasure hunt that those three little words sets up is lifelong and virtually impossible. The good news is that the shifts involved are the very same ones that protect your health in a multitude of other ways. It starts with...

 • Buy as little as possible of the food that has the ingredient glucose-fructose (that likely comes from corn). The good thing is that this rules out mostly junk anyway

 • Stop drinking soda pop and sweetened fruit drinks containing glucose-fructose

 • Avoid the ingredient maltodextrin. This is a corn derived material used in packaging and some foods like instant coffee, soup mixes etc to keep them from clumping.

 • Upgrade corn oil or “vegetable oil” (which is likely corn oil) to grape seed, extra virgin olive or other oil

 • If you choose to eat red meat make it organic or grass fed (at least the corn will be organic and devoid of the pesticide in question)

 • Chickens eat less corn than cows but it’s a good idea to go organic here as well as often as possible

 • Opt for meatless meals whenever you can which will reduce our dependency on corn feed

 • Use bee attracting plants in your garden to keep the population alive