From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:22:45 -0600
Hello All,
beekeepers talking CCD with other beekeepers have came up with an
interesting finding to consider.

Most CCD claimed crashes of semi loads of bees occurred after the bees were
unloaded at
their destination. We know bees have been hauled on semis into almonds
without problems for years so what is different? The CCD team says the bees
immune system was weak and the move was the final straw which broke the bees
back. Some of us are not so sure.

Another possibility exists and a possibility myself and another beekeeper
are researching.

When a semi load of bees bound for almonds leaves our area in January/
February we load the load in daylight because the bees stay inside in a
cluster. Then the driver drives to the TA truck stop to spend the night. At
least two other nights enroute the semi load of bees sits in a truck stop
(usually 10-12 hours in cold weather).

We have got an hypothesis that the new diesel fuel additives being added to
replace sulfur and increase fuel mileage might be causing hives to crash. So
far we have found around 48 different chemicals in diesel fuel fumes. In
winter at these truck stops the smell of diesel fuel is strong and the bees
are exposed to these fumes in large doses for around 30+ hours while in
route . At
the joint meeting my friend is going to suggest research on the subject.

Jerry B. has the CCD team ever considered the change in diesel fuel
additives might be effecting bees longevity?

 Lance Sundberg told me every hive out of 448 crashed on arrival at the
California holding yard last year.
All crashing seems to indicate to us a poison involved.

Comments?

bob

--
believed to be clean.