From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:31:42 -0000
Allen wondered about my use of thymol:

> That 45p converts to 80c US, if my conversion works correctly, twice a
year
> in your locale, for a total of $US1.60 annually.

By buying larger quantities I have reduced 45p to 32p (and have amended the
website!).
Annual cost is there $1.13

> That puts it right in the same price ballpark as my
> single strip of Apistan, used in early spring, although it might be a
little
> less tidy.

I thought that the correct dose for Apistan was two strips in a single
standard British National box.  Are you under-dosing and working towards
resistance?

> I'm wondering about the food safety aspect of thymol, which, from the
sheet
> referenced seems to be a purified chemical, rather than a spice.

Mine is food grade obtained from RC Treatt (they are in UK and US - link
from website).

> I understand that thymol can taint honey if used at the wrong time of
year,
> and am also wondering how it is percieved by the authorities who classify
> food additives.

Thymol is allowed for varroa treatment in the UK as a 'non-medicinal
curative substance'.  Thymol occurs naturally in honey, so we can use it
provided that thymol levels do not exceed the taste threshold.  Research
that I have read so far (I do not have time to look up the references) has
shown that the taste threshold was only exceeded when colonies were treated
continuously throughout the year.  The treatment regime that I use is before
and after the flow.

> I realise we may have discussed this latter aspect a few years ago, but,
> since then, a lot may have changed.  We have a lot more experience, and
the
> rules may have shifted or solidified in some jurisdictions.  Whereas I
> understand benzaldehyde to be a food additive, also called artificial oil
of
> almonds, I also understand that some important importing countries will
> reject honey if benzaldehyde is detected in *any* amount, whatsoever.

My understand is that benzaldehyde is carcinogenic and I would not now use
it (or knowingly eat it!), although I did use it many years ago on fume
boards - where I am sure that it contaminated the honey - comb honey
certainly tasted of almonds.

> Is this true of thymol?  Often the small beekeeper has little concern
about
> such details, but larger beekeepers and packers must always be very aware
of
> increasingly stringent testing and regulation.

Thymol is found naturally in honey, so I think it unlikely that there could
be a problem unless the taste threshold was exceeded.

> This is another very interesting option, and the fact that it seems to
work
> so well for you is encouraging.

Yes - it is cheap, quick, safe and easy to use, does not contaminate wax or
honey - and there seems to be little chance of resistance.

>  I'd be curious in what quantities and at what purity you are obtaining
your supplies

Treatt will supply from, I think, from around 5kg upwards.  I bought 15kgs
last time.

> and the regulatory opinion, if any, in your district and markets.

Covered above.

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/