From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 06:06:17 -0400
I will persue this just a moment longer...

AFAIK the expanded polystyrene hives made in Sweden were formerly of the
same density as the Beemax, but some years ago changed to a considerable
lower density, as a cost saving measure.  At one time, I had both (the
higher and lower density made by the same manufacturer) in my hands.

The high-density products, similar to Beemax, were and are an outstanding
product.  I personally know of an operation in the US who imported 20 boxes
from Sweden almost 20 years ago, and they are still used every year.  I'm
not sure wood lasts as long.

I was then told that the only remaining European manufacturer of the high
density product was an unrelated company in Finland.

All this could have changed...my time reference was a year or two before the
Beemax hives were introduced.

Yes, the Beemax hives need painting...and glueing.  I understand that
without both their life will be reduced by at least 50%.   For a hobbyist
they are great.  But for someone who needs a lot more equipment, $6 each for
fully assembled deeps is hard to pass up.

Lloyd