From:
Rob Bidleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 22:17:20 -0700
On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Kenna MacKenzie wrote:

> First and foremost, there can be no doubt that native North
> American bees are better Vaccinium (cranberry and blueberry)
> pollinators than are honey bees.

** I have witnessed several varieties of Vaccinium (myrtillus and
   uliginosum) being well visited by wild (as well as domesticated)
   honeybees. In 1976 through 1987 I have cultivated/harvested and
   wildcrafted vaccinium as well as photographed and recorded the
   areas of its occurence in Sonoma. Marin, San Mateo amd Santa Cruz
   counties as well as other areas in Northern California and the
   Siskiyou Plateau. Since 1986/87 I have seen a general decline in
   the number of berries per plant which coincides with a decline in the
   number of wild/kept hives in those areas. While it is obvious that
   the honeybee is not indigenous and vaccinium is, it still causes me
   to reflect on the impact of the loss of the wild hives. In 1993 the
   areas that I have grown over the years for the forage of wild hives
   as well as my own (bottlebrush, clover, etc) revealed no honeybees
   in an eight hour period (June 2nd, bright and warm with no wind).
   That area was, in the past one of the busiest for bee traffic I
   have ever seen considering it was at least 4 miles from any hives
   (commercial). The decimation of wild hives in Northern Sonoma
   county is almost complete. A clump of Rosemary that I have used for
   over seven years to observe foraging bees which is about thirty feet
   by forty feet was completely vacant earlier this year in prime
   forage times. Bombus and one other small bee which I have heard
   called a "sweat" bee were the only visible working foragers.

   Rob -