From:
Alan Pagliere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:25:39 -0400
        The city of Ann Arbor, near the township where I live, is
planningon spraying Bacillus thruingiensis var. kurstaki (Btk), a
biological agent to control gypsy moths (a problem in this area for the
last couple of years). They plan on doing this in early May, just about
three weeks after my first ever package bees arrive.
        My question. Despite all the claims about safety and how this
agent is "toxic only to leaf-eating caterpillars within 5 days of the
application," should I worry about my bees. I can tell them we don't want
our property sprayed, but it really may not be a bad idea since the moths
have been a big problem everywhere. I know the agent is not actually a
pesticide, but does anyone know whether I should protect my bees at the
expense of my trees. Then again, is it kind of moot because the bees will
be out foraging in areas that are sprayed, such as the yards right next
door.
        Thanks for any help.

|              Alan Pagliere               |
|              Ann Arbor, MI               |
|               734-647-8000               |
| http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pagliere/ |